The trip is part of the fun
Gili Islands leading Hotels offer to arrange transport directly from Mataram, Lombok's airport to the Gilis for very reasonable fees of around US$ 20/person/one way. They will bring you along the stunning road that runs up Lombok's west coast to their own private harbors.
Unspoiled beaches en-route to Gili Trawangan harbor
A boat or even a speedboat is then already waiting for you for the final leg. You can also get a boat directly from Bali. It's often a question of heading to the Padang Bay port and waiting until a boat is full enough for the captain to set off. The minimum journey time is then four hours, but waiting time might be much longer.
The Ubud community offers special Ubud / Gili Islands packages, which allows to explore the sights of Ubud - Bali's cultural capital - for a few days and a boat ride directly to Gili Trawangan for about the same price than the combined air/car and boat package via Mataram airport.
Alternative options per boat include:
- Peramaboat serves now directly the Gilis from Padang Bay, operating daily on a regular schedule.
- Peramaboat also operates now a boat directly from Senggigi beach to Gili Trawangan, although that leaves rather early at 9 a.m., so it is hard to reach if arriving same day from Bali.
- There are also Shuttle Buses with daily departures from the main Bali tourists area's directly to Lombok and the Gili Island. Price includes ferry and buses for both Bali & Lombok. For budget travelers (Backpackers), this option is recommended to eliminate hassle and bustle at the public Bangsal ferry port.
- Padang Bay Express:Padang Bay (Bali) - Lembar (Lombok) approx 2 hours, daily.
- Regular ASDP Ferry Public Ferry (3,5 - 6 hours) departs every 2 hours from Padang Bai (BALI) to Lembar (LOMBOK) all day, all night 24 hours. Ticket is easy to get once you arrive at the harbor.
- Bounty Cruises have stopped permanently serving passenger between the Gilis/Lombok and Bali. Bounty Cruises now operates now only between Bali and Nusa Penida/Nusa Lembongan.
Hotel Ombak's Speedboat brings you directly to their hotel, per person for less than US$ 10
We recommend to book your boat trip to the Gilis via Ubud.com and for those who can afford it the return via Hotel Vila Ombak or any other of the leading hotels of the islands. This not only to avoid any problems, but also to enjoy the trip to and from the Island as integrated parts of your holiday.